Adversity at Troy High

 An interesting question was posed this week due to the nature of our In Class Essay, do Troy High students face true adversity in their schooling? Obviously everyone has their own personal struggles, but when it comes to school we are afforded every luxury. 

   


Sometimes it can be hard to recognize the privilege we have because it’s our version of normal, but compared to many other school districts we are incredibly advantaged. We have access to high level classes and well educated teachers. If we ever have any trouble in school, we are provided countless resources to get us back on track. If we have basically any questions at all, our guidance counselors are an email away and always supply helpful information. We’re expected to succeed and given every opportunity to. In fact, when someone doesn’t get into a top college, they face judgement from their peers. Despite the fact that for many around the world simply going to college is a huge accomplishment. Of course, that doesn't mean school is easy. We still have to put in the work to do well. But for the same amount of work that we do, a student at a less prosperous school will probably only go half as far in life. School may be a challenge for us, but it's not true adversity.

    It’s important to stay cognizant of the benefits we are provided in life, however insignificant they seem. It can be easy to forget all that we are blessed with because we have never faced what life would be without it. I, for one, am grateful for my high chance of success, though it’s important to still have empathy for those less fortunate.




Comments

  1. I really liked how you posed the question in the beginning of your blog, and then elaborated your answer throughout it. Your word choice and organization was very easy to ready and follow. You also included a counter claim and examples supporting it, and you also qualified your counter claim, which I really liked. Nice blog post Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charlotte, great post as always! I agree to some extent, we are definitely in one of the most privileged high school educational settings. But I think adversity expands beyond just our available resources. Because we have higher expectations, many students end up working themselves in the ground so to speak, and adversity is clearly present in our system, just not in the same way others have it. I think its important to reiterate that just because someone else has struggles that you think are bad or worse than yours, that DOESN'T invalidate the adversity you face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with this post. We should be more appreciative of the advantages we have been born into. We don’t always recognize how easy we have it since we are still presented with challenges everyday, just not true adversity. I also love the rhetorical question you prompted this post with! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth of the Past

Born a Blonde