Our Incomplete Education on Sundown Towns
Earlier this week as we began to discuss modern racism in our area, I was shocked to find that little was known about the dark history of sundown towns in Michigan. Sundown towns were very prevalent in the lives of African Americans in the past as they were potentially dangerous and deadly. They were also all over the country and there were even many near where we lived now, including Livonia and Gross Point. Yet, most of the people in our class didn't know anything about them or even that they existed. The only reason I knew about them was through watching a Tik Tok, a notoriously unreliable source of information, and choosing to do my own research. Sundown towns were never mentioned to me in school, or at least not in a meaningful or memorable way. This predicament brings up the question of whether the knowledge being taught in school is really the most beneficial information for us to be learning. I for one remember spending days learning about the conditions of the trenches during WWI, yet only hearing one or two sentences about the Stonewall Riots, a very important part of America's LGBTQ history that most people know very little to nothing about. In fact, we didn't learn much of anything about how gay people in America gained rights or the violent history that proceeded it. If such an important part of our history was left out of our curriculum, what else is being “forgotten” by the officials in charge of designating what the people in this country should be taught?
If one thing should be taken away from this situation, it is that doing your own research is necessary if you want a complete education. There will always be parts of history that are left out of a traditional schooling due to lack of time or simply erasure. To be a well rounded and cultured person, sometimes you have to be willing to put in your own work and time to ensure it happens.
If one thing should be taken away from this situation, it is that doing your own research is necessary if you want a complete education. There will always be parts of history that are left out of a traditional schooling due to lack of time or simply erasure. To be a well rounded and cultured person, sometimes you have to be willing to put in your own work and time to ensure it happens.

I completely agree with you, I had never heard of sundown towns until it was mentioned in class. In fact, I don’t remember learning anything about the Stonewall Riots you mentioned. I definitely feel that we haven’t been exposed to enough history and information on important issues regarding pretty much all minorities. Doing research outside of what we learn in school is very important, and I will be doing my own research on sundown towns! Great job!
ReplyDelete