How am I Marked?

        Earlier this week, when asked to analyze my personal style I found that it was a lot harder than I would’ve thought. I struggled to find an exact word for the way I dressed because it felt like I was trying to fit myself into a box I was too big for. Like one of those children’s toys where you place the shapes into the matching hole, only none of the openings quite matched up. Although I wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt everyday to school, I didn’t feel right to call my style lazy because I’m meticulous about the upkeep of my nails, skin, and hair. Still, I dress too comfortably to say my outfits are “preppy” or “trendy”. Furthermore, even though I enjoy playing sports and tend to hang out with the “jocks”, I also enjoy playing video games and reading, which typically doesn’t fit the description of an athlete.

        Yet despite the complexities I saw when trying to determine how I was marked, others would likely have no trouble placing me into a box. Outsiders wouldn't interpret my actions and choices the same way I do because they only receive the information presented to them, not the whole picture. While “marking” someone may allow us to feel like we understand someone’s motivations, in truth we are only getting the barest glimpses. There is no one word or category that can encompass all someone is. 



Comments

  1. I agree with this completely. People often try to label others based off of a few outward glances, usually at the obvious things like hair and clothes. It is practically impossible to understand who someone is just based on style. It is a ridiculous, yet wide spread, idea that we are meant to fit entirely in a certain stereotype. In reality, you can only see your true self. At some point, society is going to have to stop trying to squeeze people into boxers and accept that we are who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an interesting reflection – I had similar thoughts when we were asked to think about the cliques we fit into. Your analogy of being a square peg in a round hole was great imagery as well. I also agree that one’s external appearance is only a sliver of what makes them who they are – much of what makes you YOU is what’s on the inside (personality, beliefs, values, upbringing, etc.). Nice work, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth of the Past

Born a Blonde

Adversity at Troy High