The Perils of French Class

As someone who has spent years studying the language of French, I couldn't help but relate to Sedaris’s piece “Talk me Pretty”. Despite the differences in the harshness of our learning experience, Sedaris and I shared a common fear of failing the language.

For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to learn how to speak French. Growing up hearing it described as “the language of love” solidified my desire to understand the language into a resolute goal. Unlike Sedaris, when I began taking classes, I was met with nothing but understanding and faith. My teachers made it clear it was ok to make mistakes and that, although learning a language was a challenge, it was one I could accomplish. Sedaris, on the other hand, was repeatedly called “lazy” as well as being threatened with chalk to the head. Naturally, he developed a fear of messing up in class and facing further ridicule from his sadistic teacher. Although I have never faced the abuse Sedaris went through, I too dreaded coming to class and being faced with a problem I couldn’t answer correctly. Our situations may have been different, but our feelings were the same. The pressure to succeed doesn't always come from an external source, such as a teacher or parent. Sometimes it comes from within. Especially in a place like Troy High, where seeing classmates achieve incredible academic feats is an everyday occurrence. It's important to remember that the success and expectations of others shouldn't limit your own growth and accomplishment.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth of the Past

Born a Blonde

Adversity at Troy High