Born a Blonde
For the most part, I still look remarkably like my childhood self. I have the same blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and wide ears. Obviously I’ve matured and grown, but most of my features have remained the same. The only glaringly obvious difference is my hair
This is the issue with stereotypes being used casually for comedic effect and it stretches into much larger issues than hair color. Children are incredibly impressionable, so when an adult tells them that all blonds are dumb, or all Asians are good at math, they are likely to believe them. It wasn't until many years later (while watching Legally Blond) that I realized the jokes I made as a kid were perpetuating false stereotypes that have a very real impact on the way people are treated because of their appearance. Many others, though, never have this realization and continue to fully believe the false perceptions taught to them as kids. I may no longer be a blond, but that doesn't mean I will stop sticking up for my younger self, and all other people like her, who were taught to believe untrue things about themselves and others by unthinking adults.

Really good post this week Charlotte! I totally would not have assumed that you were born blonde so I was shocked when I saw your picture. I really like how you described how naive and innocent you were as a child to the stereotypes that were affecting you. I also really liked how you broadened the scope of your picture to a societal issue and drew a connection from your baby photo to stereotyping.
ReplyDelete