Acknowledgements

         We often like to claim that writing is a solitary experience. We think of it as a demonstration of our deepest and most personal thoughts and ideas, stemming entirely from our own minds. In reality, the type of person and writer we are is not magically manifested into being by our own subconscious, but a reflection of all the other writers and ideas we are exposed to throughout our lifetime. It is these people that deserve the credit for who I am today, more than anything else. And for that, I must thank you.

To my teachers, for always believing in me. To my family, for teaching me that there is always room for improvement. To my favorite childhood authors, for proving that writing need not be serious or boring. And to my bed, for always being there for me. Whether it be for 2 am breakdowns over forgotten assignments or simply as a comfortable writing spot, no one else provided the security and safety you did.

Additionally, I would like to extend my sincerest thanks to my brother, for absolutely despising everything to do with the English language. Even though he is 3 years older than me, he was never afraid to ask me for help on his assignments. It made me feel empowered to be trusted to help on assignments way beyond my grade level. And even though my advice probably wasn't that helpful, he still instilled a confidence in me that made me want to get better and live up to his expectations. If I hadn't been told that I could be a good writer, I never would’ve put in the effort to make myself one.

The number one reason I am the writer I am today is because of the reader I was as a kid. In a house with no cable TV, my options for entertainment were rather limited. So, when my older siblings brought home books from school or the library, I read them. Even when I could barely read. In 1st grade, I wanted to read Harry Potter so bad that I practically forced my father into my own personal audiobook. He would read until his throat grew dry so that I could enjoy a story I wasn't capable of understanding on my own. That early experience with literature contributed more to my drive to continuously grow my abilities than anything else.

I must give a special thanks to the authors and their works that helped inspire new ideas and stimulate my own writing. David Sedaris and David Foster Wallace especially, were able to illustrate that a meaningful piece need not be boring. Their humor doesn't take away from the power in their words, it adds to it. 

I cannot begin to express my thanks to works like A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry and “The F-Word” by Firoozeh Dumas, which not only broadened my knowledge of literature, but of the world. It’s through reading these different perspectives and being exposed to viewpoints I could've never imagined by myself that I am able to glimpse even the smallest portion of truth about the world.

            Finally, I would like to thank my fellow classmates. Though there may have been times while reading sample essays I felt discouraged by your superior writing, it was also incredibly inspiring to see what I could be capable of if I worked hard enough. At the end of the day, we are all in this together, as they say in High School Musical, and I wish each of you luck as we prepare to take the AP exam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth of the Past

Born a Blonde

Adversity at Troy High