Just Keep Walking

             Earlier this week, when discussing “Just Walk on by” by Brent Staples, I found myself disagreeing slightly with the message of the piece. Not the idea that stereotypes unfairly target black men and that many people are too quick to judge. But the idea that the behavior of the woman in the first paragraph was in any way wrong.  

From “Just Walk on by'' we got to understand the perspective of what it is like to be the man in the classic “man intimidates weak woman'' scene. But what was not addressed was what it is like for the woman in that scenario. The anxiety and uncertainty of whether the grown man walking behind you is following you, or just walking in the same direction. The strategic planning of your turns, 4 lefts in a row, to decide if he is. Then thinking of the closest public building you can take shelter in, because if you are being followed you cannot go home. You just keep walking, all the while feeling like a drop of blood in the water while the sharks are circling.  

We've all heard the classic saying, “don't judge a book by its cover.” Well sometimes it is not that simple. Especially when a situation is potentially life and death. You cannot tell someone to not judge based on appearance, then scold them for not recognizing a dangerous situation sooner. My own mother grew up near the area of Chicago mentioned in the piece. Because of this, whenever we visit the city, she ensures my sister and I understand the potential danger we face as she has firsthand experience of the more unsavory parts of city life. Staples mentions how his threatening appearance can place him in dangerous situations because people, such as police officers, may perceive him to be a criminal. But as a young woman, I too face danger because of the way I am viewed. Only instead of being seen as threatening or scary, I am seen as easy prey.  

It’s easy to judge the women who ran from Staples solely based on his looks. Stereotypes are often cruel and unfair, especially towards marginalized communities. Additionally, most of the time appearances tell you nothing about a person's true character, as was shown in “Just Walk on by”. That being said, there is a reason it is instinct for humans to form assumptions and safety should always come before the fear of accidentally misjudging someone.  



 

Comments

  1. I love how you took a different stance on “Just Walk On By” and now that I think about it, I completely agree with you. While stereotypes are extremely unfair, sometimes we have to be cautious for our own safety. I love how you used the simile “feeling like a drop of blood in the water while the sharks are circling”. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Charlotte, I liked the alternative perspective and I agree that this problem isn't as black and white as Staples made it out to be. Were I to place myself in the situation of this woman somehow, I would most likely be scared too, it is a reasonable emotional and physical response from her. However, that doesn't mean its correct. Consider more extreme stereotypes that occur. After 9/11, Muslims and Arabs faced lots of racism and stereotyping. Would you not fly with a Muslim pilot because of the stereotype? Would you not allow backpacks for Muslim people because of a fear of bombs? As with all problems, there are solutions. Yes, the stereotype is unfortunate in this piece, and while the woman's actions are not uncommon, they aren't correct. There are better ways to address profiling than saying "stereotypes are unfair but safety comes first," we can always solve both. Think of different solutions; maybe if the woman is walking through an area she feels unsafe in, she is allowed to carry a pepper spray or a firearm for reasonable self-defense that would help her feel more secure. There are many potential solutions that can both keep one safe while not profiling the other. In my opinion, the woman behaved incorrectly here and could easily have taken better precautions that were less offensive if she felt threatened by a man who has done nothing wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth of the Past

Born a Blonde

Adversity at Troy High